Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Happy New Year

Wow. What a year 2005 has been. We released Get Lifted a year ago today, and I hoped it would be a huge success. Well, our success this year has been well beyond my expectations. We've sold over 1.5 million records in the US and over 2.3 million and counting worldwide. We're platinum or gold in several countries. We've received nominations and/or awards at all the major award shows (including 8 Grammy nominations!). We've done 3 US tours, 3 European tours, 2 Australian tours, and tours in New Zealand, Japan and South Africa. I've met and played with some of my musical heroes. We've truly been blessed.
I'm so grateful to everyone who's helped make this year happen, my labels (Sony & Getting Out Our Dreams), my management team, my band, my family and many others I don't have space to name. And I'm especially grateful to you, the fans. Your support has been overwhelming and inspiring. I had quite a grueling touring schedule this year, but no matter how tired I was, I was always energized by the outpouring of love I received from you at every show. I've had the pleasure of meeting many of you at various events around the world, and I must say that I'm lucky to have such a positive group of people supporting my music. Thanks for your support. I hope I'll continue to make music that's worthy of your support in the future.
I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season. I just returned from a great time in Ohio with my family. In this season of giving and receiving, I probably don't need to remind you to think of those who are truly in need in your community and around the world. As some of you know, I recently visited South Africa. It was a beautiful experience for me. The country is absolutely beautiful and the spirit of the people was so warm. I had some of my most memorable shows in Cape Town & Johannesburg. But I was also reminded that there is still a lot of suffering going on around the world. I saw some of the evidence of the legacy of apartheid still apparent in the deplorable living conditions of many black South Africans. And, as many of you know, the AIDS crisis has been absolutely devastating in South Africa and in many other countries throughout the continent. Those who can help should certainly do so.
Also, consider the victims of this year's South Asian earthquake. While the massive earthquake that hit Pakistan and India has not gotten much news lately, the situation over there remains very terrible and could use a lot more attention from those who are able to help. There are about 5 million homeless and a cold winter has begun. There is still not enough medical aid and not enough shelter. If something doesn't happen soon, experts estimate that another 100,000 will be dead by next month. I know it seems like this is just another disaster at the end of a disaster-filled year. But it's the worst of all of them and not enough is getting done.
And, here in the U.S., continue to remember the hurricane victims. Hold the President and Congress accountable for the promises they made to help those victims and address the larger issues of poverty and race in America.
I don't mean to preach to you too much. I just think that we should have some perspective as we partake in the festivities this year....
Speaking of festivities... It's also my 27th birthday today. Thanks to those of you who have already sent birthday wishes and gifts.
Also, this week:Catch me on the Today Show this morning (the 28th) on NBC Celebrate the New Year with me in Los Angeles at the House of Blues on Dec 31

Peace & Blessings,

John

No comments: