Saturday, August 23, 2003

In Chicago with Kanye West

August 23, 2003


Last night I did my first ever performance in Chicago (unless you
count my high school choir...). This time I was featured in Kanye's
set at the "Neo-Soul Explosion" (are we still saying "neo-soul" these
days?). Virgin's new "neo-soul" artist Dwele co-headlined the show.

Anyway, Kanye brought me along as his pianist and singer, and we did
some cool collaborations. It wasn't your average hip-hop show. Kanye
did some joints with me on the piano as his only accompaniment, then
he brought out the beats for some other songs. The highlight of the
night was when Kanye's mom came up during his rendition of "Hey Mama".
Mrs. West was dancing on stage w/ Kanye, then she grabbed the mic.
And, to everybody's surprise, she was really holding it down. She was
damn-near flawless on the lyrics and the flow. Watch out Eve & Foxy...
There weren't too many dry eyes in the place. It was a beautiful
thing.

Much love to all the people I met in the Chi. I'll be back....

No comments: