Saturday, June 11, 2005

Get Lifted Tour Update + Oprah Winfrey

June 11, 2005


Hey People,

I’m back! I just finished a great tour overseas.

We started out in Japan. I had a great time performing in Tokyo. The crowds in Tokyo were a lot of fun. We took some great pics which we’ll post shortly. Unfortunately, I also picked up a little sinus infection that made me pretty ill for the next week or so... Just a word of advice, avoid flying if you have a sinus infection. The trip to Melbourne, Australia, from Tokyo made me even more ill. My ears were popping and my sinuses were bothering me for several days. I had a show in Melbourne the same night that I landed, and I barely made it through the show. I almost canceled it early, but thanks to the support of my band and the good people of Melbourne, we made it through the show. I had a show the next night in Sydney, which is short flight away from Melbourne. Unfortunately I couldn’t fly again on doctor’s orders. So I had to ride in a car for about 9 hours to Sydney, and I arrived just before the show started. Anyway, I made it through that show, and my sinuses began to improve from there. I want to apologize to all my Australian fans that I wasn’t able to give you my absolute best shows, but it was the best I could do at the time and I hope you enjoyed yourselves...

After the Australian shows (and a visit to the doctor), I was able to fly to Santa Barbara, California, to perform for a luncheon at Oprah Winfrey’s estate that kicked off her Legends Weekend. That was an incredible experience. I had an opportunity to play for a captive audience of all the amazing women that Ms Winfrey was honoring that weekend. I can’t remember everyone, but the list of women attending included Halle Berry, Tyra Banks, Maya Angelou, Della Reese, Phylicia Rashad, Debbie Allen, Iman, Beverly Johnson, Naomi Campbell, Brandy, Alicia Keys, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Gladys Knight, Pattti Labelle, Chaka Khan, Angela Bassett, Tina Turner, Missy Elliott ... I’m sure I’m forgetting some people, but you get the picture. All these beautiful talented women at the luncheon and just one man was called in to entertain them. Yours truly.... It was pretty crazy for me to be there. I felt very moved by the whole experience. Anyway, I just came in, sang “Ordinary People,” said a few words of appreciation, then sang “Live it Up” (Ms Winfrey’s special request), then left and headed back to the L.A. Airport to continue my tour in London and the rest of Europe. It was a brief experience, but it was one of the most exciting things I’ve done in my career so far.

Anyway, the tour of Europe went really well. The fans in all the cities we visited were very enthusiastic and supportive. I hate to name favorites, but I think the most hype crowds were in the UK (Manchester, London & Birmingham), Paris and Amsterdam. But I truly had a great time at all the shows. I also received my first overseas gold plaques. We’re now gold in Norway and in the UK. Hopefully we’ll add some more countries to that list, and maybe even bump up to platinum in some places.

Again, thanks to all my fans around the globe for supporting the music. The tour has been beautiful so far....

Last night, we began the US portion of the Get Lifted tour in Atlanta at the Vibe Music Fest. My band and I had a great set, then we joined Kanye & Common (my VIBE cover-mates!) for a G.O.O.D Music jam session. It was a fun night. And I’m looking forward to many more great nights around the country (and in Toronto). Tickets are still available for most of the shows, but they are selling fast so don’t wait till the last minute....

See you soon,
John

No comments: